Wednesday, November 22, 2006

One Top Artisan Bakery


Despite the increasingly acknowledged fact that this bakery is so popular today, you can still manage to wiggle through the door and savor the aroma of freshly baked bread. You are undeniably in the right place, the bakery of Poilane.....
Visiting the local bakeries and pastry shops in Paris is a big priority on my list of places to see. Not only do I want to see, but I definately want to taste....
One shop we traveled to, on this last fast and furious excursion, was to the Poilane's bakery on Cherche-Midi. There is still no mass production and each loaf is still handmade. Once inside the store, every corner is jammed packed with delicious pastries and breads that could cause you to go into hyperdrive.....I wanted to taste everything!
In this artisan type of bakery, there is continuous skill and care given to every item that is baked and the methods used have remained the same since its inception way back in 1932. There are two shops to visit in Paris and one in London. I hope you can make it to one of the shops ....it's worth the time ... and getting lost on the way is one of the joys about roaming the streets in cities unfamiliar to us.....

5 comments:

Katie said...

I've heard of this bakery but never visited. On all of my recent trips to Paris I've been acting tour guide - next visit will be for me! Then I can explore the food shops at length....and taste....

Brilynn said...

I can almost smell that bakery from here... I would definitely have wanted to try everything.

Christine said...

Those breads look wonderful! When I was in Paris I hadn't yet heard of Poilane, more's the pity, but there was a very good artisan bakery just around the corner from our apartment which kept us in delicious, freshly baked, warm from the oven loaves.
Next trip this one is on my list!

Jann said...

Christine,this is a very good bread,so I hope you can try some.Very easy to digest due to a slow fermentation with the leaven.This causes the enzymes to preform better and that breaks down the carbs and protiens into absorbable simple nutients... It is definately healthier than industrial bread, high in fiber and helps prevent constipation and other medical wonders!

Unknown said...

Poilane is high on my list of places to go the minute we step off the plane in May. Did you know the owners were killed in a place crash a few years ago and their 20-something daughter runs it now?

Anyway, Joan Cusack featured it on her new travel show a few weeks ago.

I'm just so intrigued with the Rue de Cherche Midi name, too: Seeking the Midday Sun — quel nom!