Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How About A Date!

We grill many times during the week. I love cooking anything I possibly can outdoors -something about that taste the oven just can't top! This salad is perfect for steak or beef, burgers included. I love the range of colors as well as the texture and taste.....it represents summertime and a summery lightness all on one plate!

The highlight for me in this salad is the date....I don't use them too often in salads and why, I don't know. I enjoy eating dates right out of the package or stuffed with cream cheese, topped with a small sliver of ginger. The dressing I made , which I did not photograph, is very simple yet packed to the gills with intense flavors. I know there are numerous other dressings that work well with this simple salad. The dressing you might use will depend on the meat or fish you are cooking. I made my dressing with orange juice, white wine vinegar and walnut oil.

I just cut several wedges from the bibb lettuce and scattered them on a platter. Also, I sliced blue cheese into pieces and arranged the cheese on the wedges. Cut up a few dates, grab some walnuts and there you have it~ a robust salad that will compliment your barbecue and delight your taste buds!

5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Simple yes but full of wonderful exciting flavor!! Hooray for cooking outside for sure.

K and S said...

sounds like great flavors!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Simple, and perfect for a summer day! (And I love the thought of snacking on dates stuffed with cheese and a sliver of ginger!)

Katie Zeller said...

Dates and goat cheese is my favorite, after meal cheese/dessert!

Penny said...

Great combination. Salads seem to be on our minds these days.