Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Roasted Beets with Fresh Greens

Try  roasting your fresh beets wrapped in foil for 45 minutes, cool then remove the skins.


Fresh beet salad with dressing.





Beets were purchased earlier in the day from the farmers market on Sanibel Island ~ big and delicious! Sorry to see the market close for the season.....

Wonderful huge heads of fresh lettuce also picked up from the farmers market.

Dressing for salad
1 T. red wine vinegar, 1/2 t. Dijon mustard, 3/4 t. balsamic vinegar, 1/4 c. olive oil, 4-6 ounces of fresh lettuce or baby greens, 3-4 beets, ( cooked) mine were rather large, salt and pepper to taste, fresh herbs to your liking; I added parsley and tarragon.

 Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Toss with the lettuce, beets and added herbs right before serving. A nice serving for two!
  After the pictures were taken, I threw in some crumbled goat cheese.That really topped it off!





5 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

It's only been about 2 years since I learned: I love roasted beets. My favorite roast beet salad is made with a walnut oil dressing which I've greatly tweaked over time. Beautiful photos! Will try this one soon.

Jann said...

I am going to try it with the walnut oil~I bet that is delicious! Thanks for stopping by~love your site!

Claudia said...

This is just a Farmer's Market fresh dream.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your photos are always outstanding Jann. The goat cheese topping sounds delicious. My husband would love this salad. He's a beet guy.
Sam

Simona Carini said...

No need to get complicated to get a good salad, right? I have not yet tried walnut oil myself. Hope all is well with you :)a